One of the oldest appearance mods for fox body stangs is to install a set of LX tail lights. From the factory the 87-93 Mustang GT's came with tail lights that many people call "cheese grater style" because of their appearance. Installing a set of LX (or 93 cobra/SVO) tail lights give the rear end of your stang a cleaner look. If you're wondering how to install them, here ya go. Its pretty easy, and takes no time at all.
- The first step to installing your new tail lights is to take your interior panels off so you have access to the light bulbs and the nuts that hold the tail lights on. On our 'Stang we only had to remove a few screws and the panels pulled right off.
- Next you'll have to remove the light bulbs from the tail light housing by twisting them out. Then to get the old lenses off you'll have to remove the 6 (per lens) 11mm nuts that hold them on.
- The old tail lights should pull right off, but a little gentle prying may be needed.
- If you're installing used lights you may want to use just a little rtv silicone glue around all of the mounting bolts and gaskets so you get a good seal. Then all you have to do is put them on and tighten the nuts down.
- Now its time to re-install the light bulbs themselves. Before you do so you'll need to get two orange/amber bulbs to install in the middle light sockets so you have an amber light for your turn signals. The bulbs we bought are # 1156na. Obviously the last thing you will have to do re-install the interior panels.
That's all there is to it! If you want to be a little different you could try getting 93 cobra tail lights, or maybe even Capri tail lights.